Saturday, December 1, 2007

For Everyone's Consideration

I had planned on writing something interesting today, but instead, I am posting something I wish everyone would think about. I'll probably wax philosophical about it later, but in the meantime, here's a couple of things I think everyone should at least think about once or twice in the next few years.

First, I give you Reverend Ray:



Next, a link to a paper written by Reverend Vinge in 1993:

http://mindstalk.net/vinge/vinge-sing.html

I am especially fond of this bit:

"Let an ultraintelligent machine be defined as a machine that can far surpass all the intellectual activities of any any man however clever. Since the design of machines is one of these intellectual activities, an ultraintelligent machine could design even better machines; there would then unquestionably be an "intelligence explosion," and the intelligence of man would be left far behind. Thus the first ultraintelligent machine is the _last_ invention that man need ever make, provided that the machine is docile enough to tell us how to keep it under control. ... It is more probable than not that, within the twentieth century, an ultraintelligent machine will be built and that it will be the last invention that man need make.

Good has captured the essence of the runaway, but does not pursue its most disturbing consequences. Any intelligent machine of the sort he describes would not be humankind's "tool" -- any more than humans are the tools of rabbits or robins or chimpanzees."

I'll write more on this later. I just wanted to get people's imagination cogs turning.

The first person to make a 666 "Beast" reference loses the game.

3 comments:

kate said...

Okay, now that I've obliged your heckle needs, I can attempt to respond, at least in part, to the first piece from Ray Kurz-whatever.
Okay, so his resume makes me feel like a complete failure, seeing as I'm 31 and haven't yet revolutionized anything, but I suppose that's neither here nor there. However, his speech regarding the nature of technological development, of course, makes complete sense. At points, it began to seem as though he were heading into Vonnegut-eque territory where we no longer die of natural causes, etc., but at the same time, he managed to come off as completely sane and logical about these supposed 2020 ends to some of our current research.

I think the thing that caught me most, and the thing I think he touched on perhaps too briefly for my tastes, was the need to temper these incredible advances with the ability to use them in a responsible way. And I think that the crucial thing about all the developing technologies is that, at the same time, the field of technological and medical ethics must also grow, perhaps even in greater proportion than the technologies do.

Yep. So that's my $0.02...

Lopus said...

One of the things those in his camp are stressing is that once an ultraintelligent machine is created, we won't be in control anymore, so we won't be using anything. It will be the last invention mankind will ever make. Afterwards, we will have entered the post-human era.

My next blog will probably be about that, so I'll see what I can dig up.

Lopus said...

BTW, thanks for dropping by to heckle...